NEW CMS LTC Final Rule for Food and Nutrition Services effective 11/2//2017:
If there is NOT a full-time dietitian or clinically qualified nutrition professional, then there must be one of the following:
- A CDM or CFSM or similar national certification for food service management and safety from a national certifying body or
- has an Associates degree or higher in Food Service Management or in Hospitality if the course study includes Food Service or Restaurant Management and if required by State requirements if applicable
- Receives frequently scheduled consultations from a qualified dietitian or other clinically qualified nutrition profession
Certified Dietary Manager Coursework for Food Service Managers to meet new CMS Guidelines!
In November 2016, a new long term care federal regulation was established and stated that all facilities shall designate a Director of Food and Nutrition, if a Dietitian is not employed full time. One options is the Certified Dietary Manager. In order to prepare students for the certification option, Massasoit Community College has developed a 3 part Dietary Manager Program. Upon successful completion of all 3 courses, students may receive a Massasoit certification of completion and are eligible to apply to take the Certified Dietary Manager exam, offered through the Association of Nutrition and Foodservice Professionals. The instructor is Susan Briggs RD LDN Healthcare Surveyor and the classes will be held Saturday Mornings from 9-1.
Other Approved Schools in MA
Exam Eligibility Requirements
Pathway I: – for candidates who have graduated from an ANFP-approved foodservice manager training program. You must submit a copy of your certification course completion, and your name must appear on the official graduate listing that is sent to ANFP by the college/school
Pathway II: – for candidates who hold a 2-year or 4-year college degree in foodservice management, nutrition, culinary arts or hotel-restaurant management. Please submit your transcript with your exam application. Transcript requirements must include a minimum of one course in nutrition and two courses in foodservice management.
Pathway III: – for graduates of a comprehensive 90-hour foodservice course curriculum, who also have two years of institutional foodservice management experience. Transcripts must include a minimum of one course in nutrition and two courses in foodservice management. You must submit a copy of your transcript and certificate of course completion, as well as employment verification with your application.
Pathway IV: – for current and former members of the US military who have graduated from an approved military dietary manager training program and have attained the grade of E-5. You must submit your documentation of military training and pay grade when applying under this pathway to determine eligibility. Note that your exam fee may be reimbursable through the Montgomery GI Bill visit www.gibill.va.gov for information.
Pathway V: – for candidates who hold an alternate 2-year, 4-year or higher degree. Candidates must have a minimum of five years of institutional foodservice management experience, and must also complete one course in nutrition and two courses in foodservice management. Please submit your transcripts as well as employment verification with your exam application.
Nutrition and Extended Care Links
- Executive Office of Elder Affairs: Mass. Assisted Living Centers Regulations
- Mass Department of Public Health
- Mass Senior Care Association
- Dietitians of New England Diet and Dining Manual for Extended Care Facilities
- Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality: Elders
- Alzheimer’s Association
- Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- Center for Disease Control/Prevention
- Center for Medicare Service
- Dietetics in Health Care Communities (National)
- Dietitians of New England
- FDA Food Code
- Interactive Menu Planner
- National Institutes on Aging
- Nursing Home Compare
- The National Food Safety Database
- The Nutrition and Food Web Archive
Alternatives to MDA Diet Manual 2013:
- Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics: Nutrition Care Manual
- Online resource only
- Pricing dependent on how many subscriptions ordered and member status: ranging from $158 to $315 per year. See website for all pricing.
- Diet & Dining Manual For Extended Care in a Culture Change Environment, By Dietitians of New England, 2013, 2nd Edition: DONE DIET
- Becky Dorner and Associates: Diet Manual Extended Edition, updated 2011
- Written manual
- Member pricing $79.95 each
- Dietary Directions Inc. Diet Manual for Rehabilitation, Residential and Long Term Care Facilities-2012 edition
- Written manual
- Cost: $95 each
- New Jersey DHCC Diet Manual for Health Care Facilities, 2013 Edition
- Written Manual
- $60 + S&H